Thursday, October 16, 2014

Alone.

Solitude. Isolation. Loneliness. Seclusion.

Words like these seem to always be associated with negativity and other synonyms including: emptiness, confinement, wasteland, abandoned, detached. But why? Why can't they be associated with freedom, flexibility, leeway, and resilience?

If you would have asked me a year ago what my greatest fear was, I would have said ending up alone. Since then, I've spent much of my time surrounded by people. For a good chunk of it, I was living at home with my parents and brothers. I spent most nights with friends or family, soaking up the calamity. Just over three months ago, I moved out of my parents and into my own apartment; the first time I've ever been the sole name on my lease.

I, Christine Piela, am here to inform you, faithful reader, that being alone is awesome. In the past three months, I have:

1. Built and designed my brother's website (with zero previous html experience);
(Still a work in progress)
2. Tried out at least 3 new delicious recipes, and made plans for a dozen more;

3. Learned the recklessness of coming home and immediately taking my pants off;

4. Further explored personal interests without any concern for what others may think;  
ALL the coffee
5. Added at least 5 new scrapbook pages and did a host of other crafty things; 

6. Enjoyed the selfish moments of A/C on with the windows open or playing my music way too loud;

7. Pondered my strengths, passions, and how to best combine the two; 

8. Learned more about myself than I have within the past full year; 
I really enjoy kittens.
9. Began blogging and writing more while looking for ways to best utilize my creativity;

10. Taken a breath and a step back. 


If I can leave you with anything today, I want it to be a paradigm shift on the notion of being alone. Don't fear it; embrace it! It has even been called the No. 1 Habit of Highly Creative People. It gives you the chance to clear your head and think completely for yourself, by yourself, about anything and everything you'd like without distraction or judgement. It allows you to do what you want, when you want, without having to explain or answer to anyone. Are you tired and want to go to bed at 8:00pm? Do it. Have you ever wondered what it would be like to decorate a birdhouse with tissue paper and Modpodge? I now know. Do you ever see a really interesting show or documentary that you've never been able to watch because you share a TV? I've been there. Do all those things and more!

I am not advocating for you to throw your phone out the window and cut all ties (I know I wouldn't be where I am without friendship and collaboration), but I am telling you to not be afraid of it or to run from it. In the past month I've sent 4 emails to someone I was working with to achieve a mutual goal with no response, I've tried to contact multiple people I had previous plans with to follow through but to no avail, and I've felt neglected by the individuals that I was most hopeful to begin to work with. And that's okay. If they can't or don't make time for me, why fret? I think there are a few people out of the 7 billion out there that do think I'm valuable and that want to make time for me. But for now? I'm okay with being alone.

Solidarity in solitude,
Christine 


No comments:

Post a Comment